We know that getting medication refilled is important to all of our patients, so we try to maintain the fastest turnaround times possible. We have a large volume of refill requests for our patients, so we ask that you request refills as soon as you know that you are running out of medicine. Here are the steps you should follow when requesting additional refills.
First, consider whether you need a follow-up appointment or not. Many times we plan for your medication to run out of refills when we expect that you should have returned for a follow-up visit.
• All patients taking medication daily need to be seen in the office every 6 months. If you are overdue for an appointment, please call our office to make an appointment 512-443-9355.
• Next, you need to call your pharmacy and ask them to electronically request a refill of your medication. It generally takes them 24 hours to get the request to our office.
When we receive the request, we will review your chart before sending the refill.
• If you are on time with your follow-up appointment, we will send more refills directly to your pharmacy. Your pharmacy will inform you when your prescription is ready for pick-up.
• If you are overdue for your follow-up appointment, we will give you 1 month of your medicine in order to allow you time to be seen. Your pharmacy will inform you to make a follow-up appointment in order to be given additional refills.
• Please allow us 3 business days to get your medication refill sent to your pharmacy as we have a large volume of refills requesting every day.
• Please follow-up regularly in our office. All patients on daily medications need to be seen every 6 months.
• Being seen for a “sick visit” is not the same as being seen for a follow-up of your chronic condition.
For example, a patient with High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) was seen last week for a sinus infection and is now requesting a refill. The last time the patient had their High Blood Pressure evaluated was 7 months ago. Since this patient is overdue for their 6 month follow-up visit, we would ask that the patient make an appointment to be seen.
• Controlled substance refills for ADD, Chronic Pain, and Anxiety are handled differently.
• ADD Medication Refills
• Medications for ADD include Adderall, Vyvanse, Concerta, Stratera, etc. These medications require you to call our office to request a refill. If you are on time with your appointments (being seen every 6 months), we can give you 3 months of your prescription.
• Chronic Pain
• Refills on pain medication require an office visit.
• Medications for anxiety include Xanax (alprazolam), Klonipin (clonazepam), Ativan (lorazepam), etc. These medications require office visits every 6 months. If you have not been seen within 6 months, the medication may not be refilled until you have been seen in the office. Please make sure you are seen regularly.